How to upsell on Shopify with and without apps?
If you’re looking for ways to boost your store’s AOV and improve customer loyalty, upselling and cross-selling should be among your priorities. In fact, upselling can bring an up to 30% increase in revenue. Putting together relevant additional offers is a great way to sell more not just for the sake of selling but to provide value to customers.
Let’s dive into the mechanics of upselling on Shopify and discuss how it works and how to approach it in the most beneficial way.
What are upselling and cross-selling?
Upselling is a sales technique of offering a customer an upgraded version of what they’re interested in, while cross-selling means recommending additional products or services to what a customer is purchasing. As a term, upselling can be used to cover both these strategies, as well as some others, like bundling.
If you don’t have any upsell offers on your store, you’re losing a chance of getting more attention to your products and selling more at lower expenses. The major benefits of upselling include:
- AOV boost. If a customer agrees to the offer, the order value increases. If that happens on a regular basis, you’ll have a steady growth of the average order value, which is one of the crucial parameters in assessing your store’s success.
- Unit economics improvement. When customers add more items to the same order, it means that you’ll be spending less on fulfillment and delivery. Consider marketing costs and other expenses associated with promoting different products, and you’ll see that an accepted upsell or cross-sell offer brings you a higher business value per unit (per order).
- Higher loyalty. If the offers you’ve crafted are relevant and helpful, customers will feel that and be more likely to return to your store or recommend it to others.
How to upsell and cross-sell on Shopify?
There are multiple approaches to upselling and cross-selling, and you can apply various strategies at different stages of the buying process.
For thoughtful, personalized offers and flexibility with settings, you’ll need a dedicated app, but there are some things you can do on Shopify with no additional tools:
- Product recommendation blocks. You can feature a block with relevant products or best-sellers on product pages (below the description), collection pages, or your homepage. You can choose specific items to be shown and change them over time, or you can always feature the most popular products in this section.
- Bundles. If several products from your catalog belong together, you can bundle them up and present them as a convenient, money-saving offer. It’s better to create bundles with dedicated apps, but you still can work it out manually and show them together with regular products.
To get the most out of upselling, you’ll need the right app for it. For instance, Candy Rack will allow you to experiment with different types of upsell and cross-sell offers, customize them to the fullest, and get insights into their performance.
Here are some upselling strategies you can implement with Candy Rack:
- Cross-sell or upsell on product and collection pages. Some product suggestions might work better at the pre-purchase stage. You can choose which items to trigger when a customer adds a certain product to their cart. For example, if a customer adds an ebook reader, you can show a more expensive upgrade (with a higher charging capacity or integrated light) or a helpful accessory (a cover for the reader). You can show both offers at the same time—Candy Rack allows you to stack multiple offers and control their order.
- Cross-sell a premium service. There are multiple ready-to-use templates available—you can offer extended warranties, priority support, gift packaging, or anything else you find relevant to your business.
- Cross-sell at the post-purchase stage. Some offers will convert when shown right after the checkout. Candy Rack lets you create so-called native post-purchase upsells (displayed after the order is completed) and offers on the thank-you page (displayed after the order is completed with the redirect to the thank-you page). Both options won’t create an additional order if a customer accepts the offer but will extend the existing order, which makes it easy for you to track and fulfill it. Post-purchase upsells are the most effective for many businesses, as they can reach an up to 10% boost in AOV without compromising the initial conversion.
- Cross-sell a best-fitting product chosen by the AI algorithm. If you’re not sure what items to select, the app can do the job for you. Based on Shopify’s product recommendation algorithm, it will choose what to cross-sell in each situation individually.
The best thing is, you’re not limited in the number of upsell and cross-sell offers, and you can adjust them on the go. Customize your pop-ups, analyze their performance, and think about how you can improve the offers to get more conversions.
Boost your store with upselling
Upselling and cross-selling can fuel your store’s steady growth. There are some soft upselling methods you can incorporate on Shopify with no additional tools, while for tailoring personalized offers, you’ll need an upsell app. Choose the one that supports those types of upselling you’re interested in and provides your customers with a seamless, non-intrusive experience.